Agricultural Knowledge Management Unit
Agriculture Research Information System section was established at the institute under NATP project during 1995-96 with the objective to strengthen computing facilities at the institute. Local Area Network (LAN) based on Optical Fiber and CAT 5 cable was established in the institute with ARIS Cell as the central serving unit. Initially section was equipped with LAN Server and two XT computers. With time ARIS Cell has achieved many milestones in order to strengthen ICT based infrastructure facilities at the institute.
With efforts of the section, now institute has a big network of more than 200 nodes and approximately 120 computers are active on these nodes. Section provided state of the art networking facilities on the network using TCP / IP protocols. All the network nodes are having good computing facilities in the form of system and application softwares. Threat on network is managed by the section from its central server. Section is having latest networking servers to provide various networking services viz. Web Server, Mail Exchange, Internet Proxy, Application Server, etc. Institute has been selected as one of nodal centre under National Knowledge Network project of Govt of India. Under this project, 100 mbps leased line link has been established in this section to share it further on the institute network.
In 2011, council has changed the name of the section to Agriculture Knowledge Management Unit in order to manage the various agriculture knowledge in the institute using computing facilities. Section provides a variety of services to the institute to strengthen its ICT setup. Further, many research projects on various aspects of sugarcane are also being carried out in this section.
Major activities of the section are as follows:
- Research in designing and sampling aspects of sugarcane experiments
- Research work on economics of resource utilization in sugarcane based cropping system especially for conserving natural resources and sustaining cane productivity in India.
- Research work on performance, production constraints and impact of price policies of acreage response in sugarcane based cropping pattern.
- Statistical services are provided to the scientists of the institute in designing of the field experiments and analysing the data.
- Development of computer software to cater specific research requirements of scientists of the institute.
- Network and system administration
- Management of Information Systems and database (Website, Intranet, KIOSK)
- GIS based analysis of sugarcane and sugar industry in India
- Impact assessment of sugarcane production technologies
- Global market intelligence and trade dynamics in WTO regime
- Development of knowledge based systems
- Study the dynamics of sugarcane and sugar production
Staff of the unit
Dr Rajesh Kumar, Principal Scientist & Incharge
Dr L S Gangwar, Principal Scientist
Dr S S Hasan, Principal Scientist
Dr M R Verma, Technical Officer